I have a lot of memories of fishing growing up. Some are great and some are not. One memory I have was seeing a giant muskie in the water while fishing as a child. I was very inexperienced, and didn’t know anything about muskie fishing. Well, the fish in the water was just sitting down near the bottom. I cast a shad rap out a ways, then retrieved it past the muskie’s face. The fish acted as if it didn’t even see the lure. I figured I’d try a different lure, so I pushed the swivel lock to open it up and it broke. The whole wire simply snapped in half. I was crestfallen. Here I had a giant fish right below me, and I had no way to put a lure onto my line. You see, this was before I had learned to tie a fishing knot. Disappointed, I came back to the dock with a story about how I missed out on a fish.
I used that experience as a lesson though, and soon learned to tie a fishing know so well that I could do it in seconds without even looking.
Working in IT can often mean a range of duties and responsibilities, particularly with smaller companies. Today I was asked to fix an issue in Office 365. The user had a shared mailbox she could send out of, but the emails did not show up in her Sent folder. After some online searching I found this Microsoft blog post that described how to enable this feature for an O365 shared mailbox. I’ve worked with Powershell, but I’ve never administered O365 with it, so it was a good learning experience.
First, I had to connect to Exchange Online. I followed the instructions on this Technet Page. First I used the Get-Credential command to input my O365 credentials.
Next I had to create a session with Exchange Online.
Next I had to import that session into my local session.
From here I attempted to run the Set-Mailbox command, but I came up with an error:
This was because I was using the wrong account. I have a local user account and a local admin account. Well, my local user account is a Global Admin in O635 (go figure), but my local admin account is nothing. So I closed it everything down, making sure to use the Remove-PSSession $Session command as suggested by the page I linked to earlier. Then I went through all the steps again, this time inputting my user account instead of my admin account. This time, the command was successful:
To see whether you have permission to make this change, you can check if your user is a Global Admin in the O365 portal:
Using this method I was able to solve the user’s problem.